WELCOME

I hope I can accurately document my experiences in Brazil and share my knowledge with other educators. The Fulbright-Hays Seminars Abroad Project offers an extremely unique opportunity for a special educator. The need for both leaders and educators in special education to develop a global perspective of their field and an international understanding for policies and procedures abroad is imperative. Opportunities to learn from educators, government officials and inhabitants of countries promoting large education initiatives, especially those targeting students with disabilities and individuals who require alternative teaching methods, offer invaluable information about the country’s perception of special education, the disabled population, and what role culture plays in educating individuals with disabilities. Mutual understanding and learning amongst educators in this field is critical to the development of programs that will meet the unique needs of diverse populations.


Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sickness and Soccer (Manaus - Monday, June 28, 2010)

Note to self, never mix Malaria medication with any other type of medicine! After eating breakfast this morning I suddenly remembered I forgot to take my Malaria medication the night before so I decided to take it with along with some other prescribed medications before heading to Manaus’s local FUNAI chapter. It didn’t take long before my stomach notified me that it was a big mistake! I took a seat on the bus and hoped it would pass, but was not so lucky! I ended up back in my hotel room feeling miserable. (Ask me about the Indian on the toilet in the elevator!) All I kept thinking was I am in the Amazon and stuck in a hotel room! Luckily, I began feeling better a few hours later after the mixture of medications reappeared and was able to catch Brazil win next game in the World Cup. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Every business, job, and college ends while Brazilians silently fixate on the television. Every goal is responded to with fireworks in all directions, loud cheering and emotional outbursts. When the game is over people seamlessly return to their lives, jobs, and classes. Luckily for me every other meeting and activity planned for the afternoon was cancelled due to the soccer game.
I have definitely become a fan! Go Brazil! Go KaKa!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been worried about you, since you had not posted anything else. I am wondering when you will be back home and how the rest of your trip went. I am sending you an email with something I was reading that just made me think of you and all your experiences on this journey. I thought of you as I read each word and knew that I had to share. Hope all is well and that you have made some new friends to work with by camera over the next months in the classrooms here. Great pictures and great posts! I feel like I've been there with you!